Pages

Monday, June 13, 2016

Zócalo carries essay related to the Klug murder

Zócalo Public Square carries a piece by UCLA History Professor David Myers: [excerpts]

A good part of what was so distressing about this month’s active shooter episode at UCLA was the familiarity of it all. The death of William Klug, a brilliant and affable young professor, at the hands of a mad former graduate student, was the chief tragedy. But as our campus was taken over June 1 by a veritable army of armed law enforcement personnel in helicopters, police cars, and trucks, I couldn’t help but think: Here we go again...

I remember well the sad realization I had after Sandy Hook, that it now made sense to introduce active shooter preparation training for the UCLA History Department, of which I served as chair from 2010 to 2015. In 2013, we had our first preparedness session with an officer from the University of California Police Department...

My own sense of vigilance was heightened during the time I served as department chair, especially when I would meet with irate and sometimes disturbed students. I would ask staff colleagues adjacent to me to pay special attention to any abrupt noises. I would also sit relatively close to the students and follow their hand movements in order to be able to act quickly if they took out a weapon. I chided myself for engaging in this kind of suspicion-ridden activity, for it seemed to violate the basic trust that underlies the teacher-student relationship. And yet, I couldn’t stop myself from going through a mental checklist of preventative measures...

Full essay at http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2016/06/13/can-institutions-like-ucla-ever-truly-prepare-for-campus-shootings/ideas/nexus/

No comments: